The categories of information that we may collect, hold and share include:
· Personal information (such as name, date of birth, address and telephone numbers)
· Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality and country of birth)
· Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
· Medical information and records of accidents
· Special Educational Needs information
· Observations, photographs, assessments and development bands
· Parent’s personal information, National Insurance number and eligibility for financial benefits
· Safeguarding concerns and information relating to Berkshire Child Protection Procedures
Why we collect and use this information
We use the data:
· to support children’s learning
· to monitor and report on children’s progress
· to provide appropriate pastoral care
· to assess the quality of our services
· to comply with the law regarding data sharing
· to administer the Early Education Funding
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We have a valid lawful basis in order to process personal data (GDPR – Article 6). We keep a detailed analysis of the lawful basis for processing each type of data we hold and parents can ask to see this. These lawful bases are: (1) the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes; (2) processing is necessary for the performance of a contract; (3) processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, March 2017).
In order to lawfully process special category data (e.g. race, ethinic origin, religion, health) we comply with Article 9 of GDPR as processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject.
Collecting children’s information
Whilst the majority of children’s information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.
We have a policy to show the retention period for storing data. Parents are welcome to request this or view it on the Privacy section of our website.
Who we share children’s information with
We routinely share children’s information with:
· schools or other early years settings that the children attend after leaving us
· our local authority
· The local Children’s Development Centre and other professionals (e.g. paediatrician, speech therapist, physiotherapist) who are assessing or supporting a child
· the Department for Education (DfE)
Why we share children’s information
We do not share information about the children in our care with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. We share information in order to support or protect the children in our care or to apply for or administer funding or benefits.
It is mandatory for us to complete the Early Years Census for the DfE on a yearly basis. It is not possible to identify personal data from this information.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact the Pre-school Manager.
You also have the right to:
· object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
· prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
· object to decisions being taken by automated means
· in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
· claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact the Pre-school Manager.